Sunday, February 15, 2015

Lent, Sacrifice and Idols

About a year ago, the little sister asked if she was supposed to give something up for Lent. This was my answer: 

"If you want to, and if you understand that fasting is meant to bring us closer to Jesus. Fasting isn't about what we do or don't do; it's not about us at all. It's about the reality that Christ has already given us everything so we don't need anything else. 

So it's helpful to fast from something that takes you away from Him, or is an idol in your life. Like if you are more excited about a new facebook notification than reading the Word, it can be beneficial to take a break for a season and re-assign that time to prayer, worship and Bible study. If you turn to food, or a certain kind of food, for comfort you might be blessed by giving it up for awhile in order to help turn your heart to the One who is called the Comforter." 

I was discussing the subject of Lent with both Elizabeth and Jordan. Since Lent begins on Wednesday, I will still be on the cleanse and the no sugar deal (literally every food I've ever considered fasting from is already off limits). Add in my New Years resolutions about coffee shops, treats and tv watching, and there's not an easy answer here. Not only does it seem like cheating to give up something I can't have anyway, but I've already been working through so much of my complicated thoughts about food and idolatry, which is one component of what Lent is for. 

The other component is sacrifice. It should be noticeable. When you notice it, it should encourage you to think about Jesus. Jesus is the point of Lent. 

And so, I've decided a few things: 

1) I will only drink coffee on Sundays, and not on Sundays when I'm rushing for any reason. Post-cleanse and Lent, I am thinking of relaxing this standard to permit coffee on Fridays as well. 

2) I will eat a donut once to get it out of my system and then continue on in this donut fast. I think everyone knows how much of a sacrifice this is. 

3) I will pray for a different unreached people group each day (The Joshua Project is an amazing resource). 

So that's me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment