Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mormons and Mountains

Today was again beautiful. I sound like a broken record, but I believe this just confirms that I am a west coast girl at heart. I spent the morning feeding my Mormon obsession in Salt Lake. I took an embarrassing number of pictures. There was a young adults conference also visiting temple square and I think people just thought I was Mormon, too. The salt lake folks were super friendly and nice. I justified my extensive amount of time there with my religious studies degree. 

I won't bore everyone too long, but here's a glimpse. 


This is the salt lake temple. There were people around and based on my knowledge of Mormon sacraments, it was a wedding! I obviously couldn't crash because you need a temple recommend, but it was still pretty cool. 


These are 130 year old blessing gowns from a smith child and a young child, respectively. I went to the museum of church history and art. Mormonism is the only religion that was started in the US. 

Anyway. 

I finally got going and eventually landed in Boise. It was your standard 5 hour drive through the rolling hills, ya know. 



Sometimes I forget how far I am from where I was. Then someone checks by ID and is like, whoa, what are you doing out here?! Part of me is sad that the road trip is almost over but the other part is pumped to be in Seattle and settle in to a new home. 

I think it would have been more hindrance than help to have a co-pilot. I only have to worry about myself and my gas tank. I don't have to worry about someone else complaining about the number of John Piper sermons I listen to or consecutive belt outs of All Too Well. I also think most people have to go to the bathroom more than once every 5 hours. I am glad I got to see some friends along the way, though. If I had to go 4 days without seeing a single familiar face, I think it could have gotten lonely. Even introverts need friends sometimes. 

Tip of the day: even if your hotel has a restaurant, find someplace else within walking distance. It's a nice way to stretch your legs after driving all day. Unless the weather is really bad I guess. I've enjoyed it, though. I also don't really stop during the day so I am more excited about the prospect of being outside somewhere other than a gas station. 

Also, make sure your swimsuit is accessible! Even if you just sit in the hot tub, it's nice. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh, my sister won't be allowed to complain or talk unless she's belting out songs with me or putting on new music. And she has to buy me coffee, she just doesn't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have ditched my sister in Nebraska. I think having a cohort could work for some people but I'm happy I did it alone. I think some people being alone would be bad.

    ReplyDelete