Monday, June 3, 2013

Forward

So this morning I woke up in Seattle. I think I've finally begun to understand this moving thing. There are a lot of things that are hard. In an answer to a prayer I hadn't thought to pray, my friend Kelsey checked in with me today. 

Kelsey was traveling the world, but had home bases in smaller spaces when she married a California surfer dude. She moved to San Diego, and I'd known it was a pretty big transition for her. 

She shared some of her experiences with me: 

Yes, it takes time. Moving is always hard and the west coast is very different. Try not to let discouragement take root as you settle, it just takes time. I used to get very discouraged about living in san Diego. But as I adjusted more and more it became easier. 

And:

Its hard to prepare yourself for such a big change. I think I underestimated how hard it would be. My regret is that I assumed because it was hard, that I was doing something wrong. And now I  feel like that is the case. I think some things are just truly, genuinely hard. 

This was very helpful and encouraging to hear. I also feel somewhat similar to some of the things I went through last year in Dakar. I had to learn to make a few mistakes and be wrong and ask questions but it was all more than worth it in the end. 

I'm looking forward to this feeling like home. I'm already very familiar with I-5 aka how to get anywhere without going nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment