Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Quiet Desperation

Crazy Mrs. Zinos introduced me to Henry David Thoreau in Pre-AP English sophomore year of high school. One of his quotes has long been stuck in my head,

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"

I have wondered what that really means. What are they desperate for? At times, I have also wondered if I am one of those men leading a life of quiet desperation.

How do you stop being desperate?

How do you stop always looking at what's next and focusing in on what is now?

I was considering this when I got into my car this morning, and there was Christy Knockels coming through the stereo,

Let me be most satisfied in You. 

What is the secret?

And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. Isaiah 58:11

The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. Psalm 34:10 

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed,
  and meditate on you in the watches of the night;for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. Psalm 63:5-7


For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things. Psalm 107:9

My schedule right now is not all the way yet - I'm still training, and it's the end of the session. Then there are two weeks off; I may have some hours, but not as many as I will have. And then there will still be Tuesday mornings and Fridays. So I am submitting requests to volunteer, and making lists of fun things to do for low/no cost. 

Because there is no waiting for the next great thing. God is great, all the time, and He is always here.  

God is right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment