Friday, June 14, 2013

It is because of the Lord

I was flipping through my journal somewhat haphazardly and I came across two thoughts that were separate at the time but now seem so inextricably linked and it's amazing.

First was a quote from AW Pink's commentary on John (This point was taken from his chapter on John 11:11-27)

It is not until we cease to depend upon ourselves that we begin to depend upon God 

Then, a verse, from one of my top 60 books of the Bible (see what I did there? But really, it probably is in my top 10)

It is because of the Lord's mercy and lovingkindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

Do you see it?

I didn't then.

But I do now.

It is because of the Lord.

The Lord.

Not me.

Not you.

Not us.

But the Lord.

Our mercy, when we feebly scrape it from the depths of ourselves, will not save us. Our lovingkindness pales compared to His. Our deepest compassions are but a glimpse of our Father's. We are weak and empty and only scratching the surface in learning what it means to be faithful.

Which is why we can't depend on ourselves. And when we cease to do so, we are thrust whole-heartedly into the arms of our Maker and Savior.

It isn't because of us.

It's because of the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment