Saturday, July 6, 2013

Lovely

I've been reading The Pleasures of God, and it's been such a worshipful experience. It's a study in what God delights in and why.

Above all things, God is protective of his name and his glory. Therefore, all created things exist to glorify God -

May the glory of the Lord endure forever, may the Lord rejoice in his works. Psalm 104:31

As Piper puts it, "God enjoys his works because they express his glory"

Today, I was cutting up mangos. This may not be your idea of a spiritual moment, but that's the point - it can be! I was looking at the color and feeling the texture and smelling it, and sneaking tastes and I had this thought:

Because I know the Lord invented mangos, they exist to glorify him! And they make him look so good!

Seeing God's glory at stake in the small things helps me to see it in the big things. It keeps the gospel from being about me and puts it all on him! To quote Piper again, "The rock-bottom foundation of our forgiveness and our fearlessness and our joy is the commitment of God to his own great name. First, he is committed to act for his own name's sake. And then, for that reason, he is committed to act for his people...God's first love is rooted in the value of his holy name, not the value of a sinful people. And because it is, there is hope for the sinful people - since they are not the ground of their salvation, God's name is"

In this, I re-discovered the song "Lovely" by  Chris Tomlin, a song that draws attention to the ultimate loveliness and worthiness of our God



I watch Your wonders fill the sky
Over the mountains reaching high
The same majesty floods my life
I stand in awe

Lovely, there is none more lovely
In all the universe, there is no one lovelier
Worthy, there is none more worthy
I try to find the words, there's so much more Your worthy of

Up on the cross with open arms
The love of God reaches far
The same majesty floods my heart
I stand in awe

As long as I live, I'll praise You
Name above all, be lifted high
All of my days, I worship You
I worship You

Lovely, You are lovely
There is no one, there is no one more worthy
You are worthy
I try to find the words, there is no one lovelier

No comments:

Post a Comment