Friday, July 26, 2013

All or Nothing

Today was all or nothing day. I don't celebrate every holiday with this much enthusiasm, but I had a day off work so I figured go big, right?

The day started with a Stick It quote, one of my favorite quotable movies,

"Somebody somewhere once said, I'm going to climb this insanely high mountain. Watch me"

And also banana oatmeal with chocolate protein shake powder mixed in.

I packed a cliff bar, an avocado, a black bean and lentil burrito and a full water bottle as well as plenty of sunscreen.

I drove about 35 miles to Mount Si (it's pretty close to Rattlesnake; you can actually see Rattlesnake Lake from the top of Si). Most of my readers probably have no idea who Scott Jurek is, but to the world of ultra running, he is a legend. He used Mount Si to train for the Leadville 100, running the 4mile, 4100 foot elevation climb. Twice. Back to back. As one who has now walked the mountain, I can say that Scott is indeed superhuman.

You are supposed to need a discover pass to park here. I (wrongly) assumed I could purchase one there. I took my chances and nothing happened. Anyway. 



4 miles to the top, plus more for Haystack Scramble but we'll get there later. It was about a 2 mile elevation gain. 



It was very quiet. I hardly saw anyone else the whole time. 






Very beautiful views. See my Facebook for more pics. 


This is Haystack Scramble. Climbers were told to exercise extreme caution. I had never climbed real rocks before but I figured there's a first time for everything. 

Edit: I looked up some more information on this scramble. Scrambles are ranked on a scale of 1-5. This is a class 3, which means that you have more exposure and will need to use all of your body, sometimes carry a rope but it's not generally necessary, and falls are typically  not fatal. 





This was on the way down. If you look above me, those are the rocks I was climbing. 


Pretty steep stuff there. 

I had an awesome time and then I ate fries and a shake and a bacon cheeseburger and spent 15 minutes scraping the dirt off myself in the shower. 

A successful all or nothing day if I do say so myself












No comments:

Post a Comment