Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Acknowledgements

I sat in the park today, reading a book essentially about the wonder of reading. I watched kids run and beg for just 5 more minutes. It made me want to read the Jesus Story Book Bible. 

I had somehow always missed the acknowledgements page, and found a quotation from Josiah Conder in 1836

"it's not that I did choose Thee,
For Lord, that could not be; 
This heart would still refuse Thee, 
Hadst Thou not chosen me...

My heart owns none before Thee, 
For Thy rich grace I thirst; 
This knowing, if I love Thee, 
Thou must have loved me first" 

The juxtaposition of the elegant, antiquated language and the simplicity of the book that follows so wonderfully fits all the JSB is. It is the richness of the gospel in the most basic of terms. Beauty at its fullest and finest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment