Friday, January 27, 2012

Restez Chez Vous (Stay Home)

As some of you may know, there is a bit of a situation in Senegal regarding the February presidential elections. It makes the GOP primary look smooth. If you want to read more, I suggest going here. That link will tell you what's happening today/tomorrow. President Wade wants to run again (he already has a system plotted to rig the elections in a way and ensure victory), but most people agree that it's unconstitutional. He wants to put his son into power. My sister told me his son is a drug dealer and if the president loses, he'd go to jail for a very long time.

During our Wolof class today, one of the directors of the Baobab Center came in and told us what was going on. The two groups - the opposition, and the President Wade's party - are both organizing demonstrations surrounding the expected decision. If he says he's running, the opposition will erupt and be very angry, as most people do not want him to run again. If he says he's not, his party will be upset because he has offered them protection from criminal activities. So people are being very careful. We've been told to stay home and pay attention to the news.

The US Department of State has issued some warnings; the Baobab center is really on top of things and we are all safe. I won't call this fun, but it is quite the experience! I've enjoyed learning more about the events in recent history from my family - it seems I can't stop talking politics no matter where I go! My sister was surprised to hear that the US is also in our election process and was very curious to know more. That French assignment I had in high school to explain the US political system to a foreigner was practical after all!

Mostly I wanted to tell you that if you do happen to hear things in the news, don't worry. I am fine, and we are all keeping a close watch on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Wade is able to run again. Most of the Senegalese people are more disappointed than anything; I shed a few tears seeing their sad faces on the television. It is pretty surreal to be here right now.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/youth-flood-square-in-senegal-ahead-of-court-decision/2012/01/27/gIQA5az9UQ_story.html

    We are all still safe and well. Prayers are appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete