Monday, January 23, 2012

Mangi Yekkati Sa Tur (Lord I Lift Your Name on High)

Today I went to the church of a friend of a friend, L'Eglise Evangelique. If I had to guess, I'd put it at around 200 people; there were maybe 10-15 "toubabs". The entire service was in French, except one song that we sang in French and Wolof. Singing that very familiar song in an unfamiliar language was so wonderful. Being in Dakar, singing praise in the regional language!!! There was a praise and worship team, essential to the emphasis on joyful celebration. I'm not sure I've ever been at a church service where we sang so much :) There were prayers mixed in, of course. Then there was a testimony about the power of the Holy Spirit, which was naturally exciting to hear. Several people talked about how they had one been slaves to their amulets but had found freedom in Christ. We sang some more, and then read from the Bible about communion. They definitely took its significance seriously, though anyone who didn't want to take it (wasn't ready) was ore than welcome to abstain. As the elements were distributed people would start singing a capella. We took each element as a body. The message for the day was about the sacrifice of the body; how we are completely for the Lord and not for sin. I noticed the guy next to me was taking careful next to me was taking careful notes, as was the girl next to him.

I liked two seemingly contradictory things about this congregation:
1) The joy
2) The seriousness

The cross is a very serious thing, and our sin is a very real problem. But because of Jesus' sacrifice, we have reason to celebrate with the fullness of joy. In addition, I believe people gave the air of taking their faith seriously, because here, you have to. If you're going to follow Jesus when everyone around you is Muslim, it's not going to be half hearted or on a whim. You really have to believe in Him and the life the He's called you to.

I passed two mosques on the way to church this morning. When I came home, my mom and sister were veiled, on their faces praising Allah. So when we sang Mangi Yekkati Sa Tur as a body, I was overwhelmed by the strength of the Spirit of the Lord that filled the room. Oh how great a love!

We sang one song that, translated, went something like this:
I will praise You with my voice.
If I lose my voice, I'll praise You with my mouth
If I lose my mouth, I'll praise You with my hands
If I lose my hands, I'll praise You with my feet
If I lose my feet, I'll praise You with my soul
And if I lose my soul, it's because I'm in heaven with You.

I really liked this one! A lot of people were doing motions with it, which was very fun.

Here's a picture of the church...hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of worship while I'm here.



I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:1-2

And I looked, and behold,in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth. Then He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. Worthy Is the Lamb. Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying: “ You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us[b] kings[c] and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.” Revelation 5:6-10

Mangi Yekkati Sa Tur!

No comments:

Post a Comment