Monday, January 16, 2012

L’océan (The Ocean)

I’ve lived in the Midwest my whole life. I’ve been surfing in the Pacific Ocean once, and beyond that, most of the beaches I’ve been to are very lame.

Yesterday we went to Gorée Island and took advantage of all the water. It was amazing! And very salty ☺

Today, I’d been invited by some new acquaintances that live in my neighborhood to meet up. It turns out they had a football (soccer ;) ) game with some of the other neighbor boys. We went to the beach, and it was really fun. My soccer skills are zero, but it was still great. If anything, it made it even more fun. That, and my Wolof attempts. I’m still working on that…but at least my French is still better than most peoples’ English. Then we just stood in the water a while. I looked out and was reminded how small I am, and how little I know of the world.

One of my favorite songs is “I Hope You Dance” I love the idea of taking advantage of every opportunity, and finding joy in life. And of course, most relevant for today, “I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean”. I do, because it reminds me of how big our God is. When I looked out, and all I could see was water, I just thought about how far I’ve come, literally as well as metaphorically. Jesus is Lord, Lord of all the heavens and the earth, the mountains, the sea, and all that is within them. When the ocean is before you, it’s pretty tough not to stand completely in awe of the Lord our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment