Thursday, January 26, 2012

C'est Quoi, le Bonheur? (What's happiness?)

Today was our second Dakar in Transition class, with the beloved Ibou Diallo. The topic for the day was globalization, which is a pretty big thing to be discussing. At some point during the class, it turned philosophical; he asked what man's goal in life was to which he answered happiness. But what is happiness? We said it was defined individually. The way he defined it, sharing a story about the contrast between wealthy tourists and a rather poor woman enjoying a piece of fruit, it was more like contentment.

I was having a whole inner dialogue with myself. I had just listened to Eric Ludy's sermon, "Incorrigible Cheerfulness" (highly recommend it!) and had been thinking about how joy is not circumstantial or material. We have reason to leap for joy constantly. For followers of Christ, I don't think contentment is enough. I think contentment is important, to be satisfied with where God has you at the current moment, but to be in content in our salvation? I have to believe that's too small.

I was thinking about this walking down the street the other day. I imagined myself trying to walk to school wrapped in chains and how hard that would be (especially crossing that six lane highway!). That's what it's like when sin is still lord of your life. But when Jesus takes over, He frees you. I imagined if I had lived my whole life weighed down by tens of pounds of weight, how light I would feel having them removed - I'd be jumping for joy! How easy it would be to leap, to dance, to skip. I probably wouldn't be able to contain myself! And that, my friends, is the joy that we should have 24/7.

Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10

But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name Be joyful in You. Psalm 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment