Monday, January 16, 2012

No Koo Mbook (We share it)

Jerijef (thanks)
No koo mbokk (you’re welcome, literally we share it)

There is something so wonderful about this phrase! It just captures so much about the Senegalese way of life. Everything is communal; we all experience life together.

Part of the standard greeting is “ana wa ker ga” which means, “how are the people of your house” (your family). Your life is not just about you, but also the people you represent.

Today my older sister brought home t-shirts from her work. She gave one to me, as well as the rest of the family. It was very touching for me, to be included in the family. When I said “jerijef”, she naturally said, “no koo mbokk”.

I think when you say you’re welcome in the English language, it’s really placing importance on yourself. It’s kind of arrogant in a way. But “we share it”, there’s something bigger than yourself.

This might be a good time to talk a little bit about eating around the bowl. Not everyone on my program is living with families who eat in this traditional way, but my family does. For lunch and dinner, my family eats together out of one big bowl (except Papa, he eats alone). We sit on a mat on the floor, and sometimes we even use our hands (though for the most part we do use silverware). However, in this society you only eat with your right hand because the left hand is unclean (most people don’t use toilet paper…think about it. I think there are other reasons too that have something to do with everyone being Muslim). There are quite a few rules like waiting until you’re told to eat (usually by the host saying “aci”), eating from your wedge, eating rice on your first bite and the other meat and veggies after, getting up right when you’re done to leave a space for someone else to come, just in case… It’s really interesting, and fun. I was really skeptical about this part of sharing, but I’ve adjusted well, and I love eating around the bowl with my family!

I want everyone to come here and learn from these people. If all you learned was what sharing really were, it would be time well spent.


PS I think I am Senegalese at heart. My 20 minute walk to school took 45 because I was talking with people along the street, and I said “Il fait assez froid” (it’s kind of cold) when it dropped below 75 this afternoon.

PPS Someone might have to come drag me home. Besides the whole me not wanting to leave, my little brothers and sister may not let me. Baraboo (7) is especially sneaky and bossy. But if you can get Ibou (10) on your side, you might be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment