Monday, January 30, 2012

I Got a Desk Job in Senegal. What?

Title was prompted by Miss Val Hanson, and is kind of mostly true.

Will I have a desk? Yes
Will my job be at it? Sometimes
Is it volunteer? Absolutely

Now that we have the facts straight, I'll tell you more. I went to Partners International today to get things set up. They tested my French - by appearing to not speak English - and came up with a bunch of ideas (I passed the test!) It looks like I will be teaching English, translating some materials (not sure which way), taking part in prayer meetings, a possible bilingual Bible study (good thing I brought that English Bible. I almost just brought the French one), and of course whatever else may come along. They invited me to make the office my home away from home - to drink tea, to get online, whatever.

They also seemed pretty excited with both the length of time I'm in Senegal as well as the amount of time I feel I can give. The more I saw, the more excited I got. They have this five point "DNA", and one of them was a focus on prayer, which was naturally beautiful. I loved seeing what they're doing, not just in Dakar or even Senegal, but throughout West Africa. They were also glad I was familiar with the 10-40 zone, which is primarily where Partners works.

Which brings me to the other cool point about this whole dealio, which I was reminded of this afternoon as they showed me the country map. Before I ever really thought I'd go to Senegal, in early November 2010, a friend said I needed to get a facebook. One of the reasons he gave was so he could keep track of my future adventures in the 10-40 zone. (those links both go to different sites). I laughed and rolled my eyes and said um maybe some day without actually believing it was going to happen.

And then it did. I'm in Senegal, working with an organization that serves as a catalyst for indigenous church movements and the advancement of the gospel. I'm here, with an open, servant's heart, ready to be surprised by another level of joy in the Lord. I originally had planned on working with IFES, IVCF's international movement, but I haven't heard from my contact since November. What God means to happen, happens. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment