Wednesday, January 11, 2012

La religion dans la famille (religion in the family)

I love getting to do a homestay. Love.

Being a religious studies major, many things fascinate me. The biggest at home is that the children (13, 20, 25+?) all have to be told, usually several times to pray. It doesn't seem like they don't want to, more that's it's not of personal importance. In the US, it's reversed. Young children are reminded to pray, and by the teens (if not sooner), kids usually choose for themselves, and assuming they choose to follow a religion, they dictate their own prayer life. Maybe it's the element of choice. People here don't stop being Muslim the way people in other places stop being Christian, etc.

I know for me, the day I made that personal commitment to Jesus, I wanted to spend time with Him. It's of utmost importance to me, so it's interesting to see religion as more of a routine. That's not to say beliefs are not sincere; it has more to say about the characters of the Christian God and Allah.

I'm proud to serve the God of deep, pure sacrificial love.

Ba bennen yoon (until next time)

(Ps. Every day English becomes less natural. My journals are almost entirely French. Today, there was more Wolof than English! So, what I'm saying is, bear with me. Things might get interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment