Friday, February 11, 2011

He Is Jealous

Today, a really good friend of mine surprised me with a shoulder rub while I was in the library studying. My shoulders get really tight and knotted up from pole vaulting, so I can't express how appreciated this was, and he'd just done it without any prompting whatsoever. As we were talking, he misunderstood me. I said I was breaking in my new pole vault pole, but he'd thought I'd said I was breaking up with someone. He initially was upset that he hadn't known I'd had a boyfriend. When I explained myself, he said, "Good. Because you know, when you do date someone I'm going to have to meet him first and threaten to break him if he isn't good enough to you" He went on to add that this guy couldn't be too much bigger than him, of course. (Side note: he's in a very committed relationship and we are not "interested" at all in each other)

I instantly thought of the way the Lord jealously protects His faithful ones. In Matthew 28:20, Jesus tells us He is with us always, and we know that is through His Holy Spirit (John 14:17). God came down here to take care of us, and reigns inside our very bodies. He has never let us go.

But He also wants all of us. Our Father wants us to come to Him for all of our needs. He is more than we could ever want or hope for. He is everything we could ever desire or need. God gave us good things to be enjoyed, but He always wants us to remember who created them. He designed us to be in community with each other, but He also wants to be our number one source of intimacy and friendship. And it's all because of how much He loves us. I'm sitting here right now crying because I'm trying to get my head around the love Christ had for us and it's simply indescribable. Oh, how He loves us!



Lord, thank You so much for wanting all of me. How incredible it is that You , so holy, awesome, and pure, would want a sinner so unworthy as myself. I praise Jesus as my Savior for redeeming me in Your eyes and making a way for me to know You. Help me to always be taken by Your love and let it govern my life and rule over my whole being. I love You, Lord, more with every breath that You give me. Amen

For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. Deuteronomy 4:24

No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment