Saturday, February 5, 2011

God's Voice

I had a track meet today, and it didn't go all that well. I was beating myself up and felt tired and worn down. I've been doing all the work and getting no results but a sore back and low confidence. I could have been at an awesome concert with great friends, but instead I was feeling down and alone despite being surrounded by hundreds of people. It was one of those rare days when I just wanted my mom and I to snuggle up on the couch, watch some Gilmore Girls, eat ice cream and have her tell me I am good enough and that I'd get them next time.

I spent the bus ride home drifting in and out of sleep, praying along with the gentle worship strains coming from my iPod. I couldn't put the day out of my head, no matter how hard I tried. Matthew West sings in a song, "God is good, but life's still hard" I wanted to focus on the "God is good" part, but I just couldn't.

Well, our God provides for us exactly what we need, often in a different and better way than we asked for. As we unloaded the bus, tired from the long day and eager to unwind, a close (non Christian) friend of mine came up to me and said, "I know today didn't go how you wanted it to, but you'll get them next time," and wrapped me in his arms.

I knew in that moment that the Lord was using my friend to speak to me and to tell me that He was still holding onto me. God speaks in many ways.

Here's the song I quoted earlier; the lines have been running through my head all day:


God made me long for home, but also Home. He is still speaking in such wonderful ways. And now, I can say that God is better than life is difficult and actually mean it.

God's voice thunders in many marvelous ways. He does great things beyond our understanding. Job 37:15

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry! Your friend is right; you'll get them next time! God loves you no matter how you do in your meets :)

    I just wanted to tell you that I think you are incredible. I'm amazed at your positive attitude and your commitment to the Lord, and I don't even know how to express that I'm so glad I know you! You're awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much Beth. I'm blessed you be here experiencing life with you.

    ReplyDelete