Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Gift of Sundays

People who know me well know that I don't do serious work on Sundays. If I do homework, I'm working ahead, and it's only because I want to. At any point if I don't feel like it, I just stop. The only things I do regularly are church, Bible study, and working out (easy, just to recover from the week).

When I woke up this morning, I was recalling a Gospel teaching, where Jesus says that the Sabbath was created for man, and not for Sabbath. Sunday mornings to me mean waking up "late" (around 6:30 or 7), and spending time in prayer and the word of Lord while resting in my cozy bed before breakfast. I love it so much. I work incredibly hard during the week, with classes, track, and work, and then on Saturdays I have track meets all day. So by the time Sunday comes, I need a break. And the Lord provides.

Sundays, in my opinion, are one of God's greatest gifts beyond Christ, whose bloody sacrifice is the ultimate treasure. This day gives me so much time to dwell in the presence of the Lord. I am so in awe of my Father, and how good He is and how He loves us. The blood of Jesus covers our sin, but He also reigns inside our bodies. Feeling the sovereignty of God in my body is what makes Sabbath rest so absolutely incredible. There is nothing better than spending an entire day in full awareness of the Holy Spirit in every essence of my life.

My soul just feels restored, knowing that the God of the Universe was thinking about His people and created a day for them to be revitalized by His very presence.



Lord, I thank You for Sundays. I thank You for Your bountiful gifts to humanity, for the way You poured Yourself into a body to serve the world, both in dying and in living still. You are a provisional God of passion and love, forever my all in all. Glory to You my Creator, Savior, Redeemer, and Friend, Amen

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:11

And He said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath. Mark 2:27

1 comment:

  1. P.S. I guest blogged for Generations of Virtue this weekend. Check it out at your leisure http://generationsofvirtue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete