Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Saying Sorry

At both SGA and the Seattle Preschool, we hold a policy of never making a child say he or she is sorry. When I was first told this, I was somewhat skeptical. But here's why:

1) Kids are usually not sorry. They are often far too self-centered for that. They may be not like the outcome of what they did, but they did it on purpose. 

2) It teaches them that they can do whatever they want and then say sorry and there are no other consequences. 

So instead, we (the observer and the offender) make sure the other affected person(s) are ok and assure them it won't happen again. 

Yesterday, though, I had a tender moment with one of my four year olds (oops, sorry, she's four and a half!). Her mom saw her not listening at the end of class. So when it was over, her mom took her in her arms and explained why that was not ok. As I made my rounds to check in with all the parents, Grace looked at me with sincerity and said, I'm sorry for not listening. She looked to me for acceptance and I opened my arms and thanked her. I told her I like having her in class and that I want it to be fun and safe for everyone. 

In that moment, I tasted so much grace. Oh how our Heavenly Father rejoices when we come to Him with sincerity. 

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. John 3:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment