Tuesday, October 8, 2013

More Grace

It's October, so I think I can say with relative assurance that the most convicting thing I'll have read outside of the Bible this year is John Owen's On the Mortification of Sin in the Life of the Believer. I wrote earlier of how he challenges the reader to ask himself if he hates sin because of its consequences, be it a specific event or action that follows sin or the guilt and bad feelings he feels; or if he hates sin because God hates it, because it is treason against his holiness and the cross of Christ. 

This question often comes to my mind. I spend time after each of my block of classes repenting of sin in my teaching and my interactions with my coworkers and my children, and I ask God to make me hate sin because he hates it and to help me love Jesus more than my self. I want to repent not just because I feel bad, but because I love Jesus. And then I am ever thankful that when I come, he always supplies more grace. 

More grace

But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6

Grace to those who come to him to know his holiness. To those who know that they have nothing to bring, but want all that he has. 

More grace

To be made holy. To be made like him. 

More grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment