Sunday, May 1, 2011

God Is Good, No Matter What

I've been sick all week, some days worse than others. Yesterday I competed in our track meet despite feeling the worst I've felt all week. Needless to say, it was pretty miserably and absolutely exhausting (although I performed fairly well). At 3:30 am, I woke up and I can't even remember the last time I'd felt that awful. And God gave me a verse:

The people I formed for Myself will declare My praise. Isaiah 43:21

Not exactly the verse you want at 3:30 am when you can't breathe, you're on fire, and can barely move. But although I didn't particularly want that verse, I realize it was what I needed. My mind floated back to Betsie TenBoom, who in the middle of a concentration camp said, "Give thanks in all circumstances. It doesn't say 'in pleasant circumstances'", referring to 1 Thessalonians 5:18. She and Corrie even thanked God for the fleas in their room.

Although I was tired and cranky and quite pitiful, it was important for me to remember that God is still good. He is bigger than my illness, and I will praise Him through this storm.



Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. Psalm 73:25-26

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment