Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Piece of History

Tomorrow is the National Day of Prayer. I've participated in this day almost every year since I can remember, but I've never known much about its history. For instance, the first national call to prayer was by the Continental Congress in 1775, before the American Revolution even started! This day has been part of our country before we were even a sovereign, independent nation! But we've always had a sovereign Lord looking out for us.

Throughout history, 33 of the 44 presidents have issued proclamations for a national day of prayer (and 4 of those who didn't died in office). Then, in 1952 it became official: Harry S. Truman declared a National Day of Prayer and signed it into law. In 1988, Ronald Reagan regulated the day - he amended the law to say that the National Day of Prayer would be the first Thursday of every May. And in 1998, a resolution was passed saying that the President is to issue a proclamation of the day each year.

I just think it's so incredible to have a national holiday whose purpose is prayer. By taking part in its observance, we are doing what our founding fathers did, and what the Lord's faithful ones have done all throughout time. We are bowing down before God and asking Him to carry us through. And His promise says He hears us.

The theme this year is "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"



I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Psalm 91:2

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment