Sunday, May 29, 2011

Falling In Love

Watch this:


The first time I saw this, I knew it was there to convict me. The three questions come down to the same thing: "Is God enough?" If you didn't have friends, would God be enough. If you didn't have the internet, would God be enough? If you didn't have family, books, or an iPod, would God be enough? If you didn't have coffee, chocolate, movies, and television, would God be enough? (Irony of my being at Starbucks on a $1600 computer while typing this is well noted)

I was thinking again about this video as I sit home for the summer. Joy and pleasure are good things, and the Lord has blessed us all with some wonderful gifts. But the busier I am, the more aware I am of how I spend my free time; there's so little of it that it slips away so quickly. I typically work 5:30am-3pm and it's a long day on my feet. I usually get up around 4 so I can have some time with Jesus. I tried skipping it and getting the extra sleep instead, but it made me cranky and impatient. I take a breather when I come home, change, and head out for a run. I come home, shower, make dinner, eat, and then I have just a few hours until I need to go to bed again. It's very tempting to just plop down in front of the t.v. or grab a mindless novel, but these really do nothing for me. They leave me empty and still tired. But reading the Bible or spending time praying, or even worshipping on my guitar makes me feel refreshed. It gives me this sense of joy that's unlike anything else. It makes me feel like anything is possible; it reminds me that God is in control, and always has been.

And it's things like this that make me fall in love with the Lord even more deeply. I realize every day how necessary the cross is,
how desperately I need a Savior. It's like this crazy circle - the more I revel in God's beauty and loveliness, the more aware I am of my own darkness and deceit. And the more I am aware of the ugliness of my sin, the more amazed I am by Christ's purity and holiness. I come to the cross in humble awe of what was done there. I cling to the promise of the Lord's return and I am enchanted by the hints of that day we find in Scripture, of the day when God really will be all there is. To see His face without distraction, with nothing to pull me us away - what a glorious day!




Living You loved me, in dying You Saved me. You rose and freely justified me forever, and You are coming soon. Lord, I am so grateful for who You are and what You've done. Sometimes I shake when I think about what kind of strength and patience it must take to love me. Not only that, but how much You love it. You love being in love with me, and I think that's the craziest part of it all. You pursue my heart like a champion and coax me out of my selfish box and into Your arms. It's Your love that has brought me to You. No force is stronger than it; nothing can beat it. No one can explain it away, because You are the God who was, is , and always will be. I want to fall deeper in love with you every day, the way You have loved me faithfully. Thank You, Lord.

And he said, Lord God of Israel, there is no Go like thee, in heaven above, or on earth beneath, who keepest covenant and mercy with thy servants that walk before thee with all their heart. 1 Kings 8:23

I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him. Hosea 14:4

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:16-17

We love Him because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

1 comment:

  1. This video made me realize that, no, I'm not sure if I could give up certain things if God asked me to. It also made me realize that I do wait until I'm exhausted to do a Bible study. I haven't done my Bible study before midnight in weeks. Thanks for sharing this. I really needed it :)

    ReplyDelete