Sunday, February 3, 2013

Worth It

I know I posted on worship leading earlier this week, but I have more stories. After Betsy live blogged her pre-game last night, I had morning live blogs in my head. This is what my morning looked like: 

7:00 Why is this time late on every day except Sunday?

7:12 I seriously have to get up. 

7:16 It is so unrealistic to have to look nice in front of the whole church when it involves Sunday mornings

7:18 Clothes. Clothes are hard.

7:24 I like my top half but not the skirt I picked for it. 

7:28 After trying on all my skirts that could possibly go with the top, I boldly put on flower print pants

7:29 Am I allowed to wear these to church? 

7:30 Especially on the stage? 

7:31 I'm going to anyway 

7:32 Flower headband to match. 

7:33 They almost look like dress pants


I then read my Bible for the next half hour, made a coffee, packed up, and left. This morning, I actually felt awake. I also really love all the songs we played (10,000 Reasons, You Are My King, What a Wonderful Savior, Thank You Lord, How Deep the Father's Love For Us, Rock of Ages, and Forgiveness - written by our worship pastor). I also had a lot of fun with the team this week; they're a bunch of goofs. Between practice and church, fellowship hour, I ate cake, because I didn't eat breakfast and there was cake. I clearly had a valid excuse to eat cake for breakfast. 

During the service, there was a little girl and her brother sitting in the front room, and I smiled at the girl. I said hello with my eyes to all the college students as well. I think. Apparently Jane thinks it's funny to watch me. I also managed to navigate the awkward "I'm on worship team, but I still have to take communion and I'm kind of playing guitar right now" time with relative success. 

Anyway, since this was only my second time, there are still a number of people in the church surprised to learn that I play guitar. I had that strain of conversation a number of times, but the best was having it with Jason, who was holding his 7-week old son and inclined to pass him on. Yes! 

As I was grabbing my coat, the little girl I'd smiled at was in her dad's arms. He said, "She never wants to talk to people, but she said we had to go find the girl playing guitar". She told me she was three, and that her name is Natalie. That was really special to me. We talked about her sparkles and her cool hat. When they left, she was running around, but she came around and hugged me tightly, fluffy pink coat and all. There was so much happiness in my heart. It's neat that Natalie and I both blessed each other today, and that when you lead worship, you don't know how God's going to move. You just have to be faithful to what you've been called to do and let Him do the work. 

It definitely makes all the inconveniences and jump-started mornings worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment