Monday, February 11, 2013

Boston and Milkshakes and Hymns Oh My

The question of what to do for spring break is always a good one. At Beloit, we also have fall break, which means that if you actually spend all eight semesters on campus, you have eight trips you could potentially go on. Here's my history: 

Fall 09: Half at home, half at school because we had a cross country meet.
Spring 10: Track Break in Jacksonville Beach. This was probably not a good choice, but it was also kind of a rite of passage. 
Fall 10: I think I stayed on campus for no good reason. I probably claimed something lame like the need to do work.
Spring 11: Memphis/Cinci/Normal with Generations of Virtue. Pretty much the opposite of Spring 10.
Fall 11: Colorado Springs. This was great; I got to do real research for my first serious paper and hang out with some great friends. 
Spring 12: Senegal. Kedougou/Dindefallo. I ate my first mango and experienced true dehydration and learned how to be patient. Kind of. 
Fall 12: New York semester. But I was in Colorado during Beloit's fall break. 
Which brings us to the last break: Spring 13



This is the confirmation of the tickets I bought to go to Boston. Why Boston, you ask? Well, it pretty much started when Betsy was offered a job interview there. We casually discussed going together on Saturday, figured a few details out, and bought our tickets during COO tonight. We've never been to New England, but a friend said we could stay with him so we figured, why not. It surprised me to find out Betsy's never flown by herself before (but her asking how buy plane tickets was a whole lot less entertaining than this freshman asking me what it's like to have a job. Maybe that's just because I've had a job since I was 11, but seriously? You're 19 and you've never had a job before?! Number one on the ridiculist for today). But then I look back on some of my solo flights and realize they probably weren't that normal of experiences to have...like flying to Senegal, alone, at age 20 when you've never been out of the country before...yeah. We're also not staying for the duration of break. The first draft of my thesis is due the Monday we resume classes, and I'm planning on hanging out with the Johnsons before I begin the track/second half of senior year chaos. 

On to the next order of business



This is a raspberry malt with whipped cream and happy Valentine's Day sprinkles. First off, Valentine's Day is my third favorite holiday. I love it so much! Secondly, this malt was free. Yes, I said free. It also came from the building in which I live, which meant I didn't even have to put a coat on in order to get it. This is because the substance free club invented an event called "Milkshake Monday", where milkshakes in a variety of flavors are served to the student body. The best milkshake I ever had was when I brought my own caramel via and had them add it to my shake along with chocolate sauce. Pure excellence. When they first started, they were not very popular. They were also not advertised at all. I think it was a beta type program or something, just to see if it would work. A girl on our track team had to convince us that they were real. But at some point they took off, and they have become a defining part of campus life. 

Finally, I've had one part of O For a Thousand stuck in my head all day, my favorite part: 

Hear Him ye deaf, His praise ye dumb
Your loosened tongues employ
Ye blind behold, your Savior come
And leap ye lame for joy 

I love this whole hymn, but especially this verse. I like it because in Christ, we finally get to experience the fullness of God's presence and joy. Praise the Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment