Thursday, February 7, 2013

When You Don't Feel Like It

Today, we were supposed to go to a concert, meaning I would miss practice. Due to inclement weather,  we decided to call it. However, I had planned out my day so that I would not be doing a snowy/freezing rain adventure. So I'm due to go to practice in just under an hour, and let me tell you, I DO NOT feel like it. Did you know that I have fleece blankets on my bed? And copious amounts of coffee and tea? And books I'd like to read?

But I'm going to suck it up and go for a run. It'll be dark, it'll be cold, it'll be wet. It'll be lonely, too, because Betsy won't be there and we usually do this stuff together. When you run when you don't want to, you gain this resilience, this strength. Sometimes they end up being the best runs you have. But even when it's bad, you realize that you can push past your (selfish) inclinations and accomplish something.

I was just talking to Jane about this last night - about continuing to pursue God and read His word even when you feel like you're not getting anywhere. God blesses obedience, and by digging in, gritting your teeth, and doing it anyway, you gain a whole new intimacy with the Lord. It's you saying, "I don't understand right now, but I'm going to trust you anyway".

No comments:

Post a Comment