Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

On last year's Ash Wednesday, I sat on a rooftop in Dakar, Senegal, and prayed and read the Bible with Addie and Debbie. I can still feel the wind and the sunshine and almost taste it. I remember choking back tears as we talked together about Jesus, and this season of preparation.

This year, I kicked off the morning with the Journey to the Cross devotional, day 1. I love the season of Lent -what it means, how it builds. Today my attention was drawn to the specific scriptural significance of the ashes. In the Bible, ashes/dust represent mortality (Gen 18:27); mourning (Est 4:3); judgment (Lam 3:16); and repentance (Jon 3:6).

Today, it is good to ask the Lord to reveal the patterns of wickedness in our heart, so that as Easter approaches, we can come with our sin to the cross, and behold our risen Savior. Lent is about seeing our own unworthiness and our deep need for Christ.

I loved this quote from the devotional, "Lent is not about your faithfulness, but rather about the faithfulness of Jesus on your behalf" Anything we give up during this season of fasting, mourning, is making room for more of Christ, not less by showing we can do this life on our own.

I also had a meeting in the chapel to really start hammering out how the worship service will work for Easter. I am so excited!



Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my thoughts. See if there is a wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold

Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will

Purify my heart
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from my sin
Deep within 

No comments:

Post a Comment