Monday, January 21, 2013

Naming Values

I realized today two things that I value, specific things, that encompass larger qualities about myself. As I journaled, I noted that it was important to me to be able to name these things and express the fact that they matter. 

The first of these would be "quality longevity". After morning prayer, Xadi and I hung out for over an hour, just sitting and talking. We grew so close in Senegal, but I didn't know what to expect from our relationship when I came back to Beloit. The fact that this is now the second time that we have had meaningful one on one time since classes started last week is cherished by me. We established a relationship on the basis of a spirit of adventure and spiritual inquiry and willingness to not always be right. Continuing to have that, even back in our "normal" environment is something that I have enjoyed. 

The second would be "learning one another". I sat in biomedical ethics today, as we discussed an article on abortion and infanticide. I knew that the person to my left was pro choice, and that I am pro life. I knew we didn't agree, that we were, in many ways opposites. But it felt as though we were working into this field of philosophical inquiry together; we needed each other to do it. And we needed to know each other, to learn one another. It's not enough to know what someone thinks, but rather, to know why she thinks that way and on what grounds. I enjoy that. 

Not much else to say, just that I found it meaningful what is important to me. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have ever shared my exact reasoning behind my opinion of "pro-choice" and if I have, you should ask me again. and ask me again later, and ask me again in twenty years. You might be surprised at how much it might change. That is what I value, the ability to learn and grow as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, and I will. I didn't realize you still read this ;)

    ReplyDelete