Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dickinson's Lament

I read through Lamentations today at lunch. I've always loved that book. When I read it, I just want to put my hands up and lift all of my sorrow and burdens and anguish straight up to the Lord. There's that real, raw, pain, and then there's this hope - that His mercies are new daily and His faithfulness is great (Lamentations 3:23).

Here are some of the excerpts that I was taken with today:

...among all her lovers she has none to comfort her...from 1:2

...she dwells now among the nations, but finds no resting place; her pursuers have all overtaken her...from 1:3

I called to my lovers, but the deceived me... 1:19a 

...the Lord has made Zion forget festival and Sabbath...from  2:6

This one was particularly striking because of my own reverence for the Sabbath. I love the Sabbath because it's a gift from God to us - a day set apart for Himself, to dwell in His presence and to enjoy His pleasures. The privilege of Sabbath, in this verse, has been taken away from Zion.

The Lord has done what he purposed; he has carried out his word, which he commanded long ago;  2:17a 

...Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!...from 2:19

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion,," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. 3: 21-26

For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not afflict from his heart or grieve the children of men. 3:31-33

Let us lift up our hearts and hands to God in heaven 3:41

"You have taken up my cause, O Lord; you have redeemed my life. 3:58

The punishment of your iniquity, O daughter of Zion, is accomplished; he will keep you in exile no longer; 4:22a

We must pay for the water we drink; 5:4a (See Isaiah 55:1-2, John 4:14, Revelation 22:17 for a deeper meaning to this text)

But you, O Lord, reign forever; your throne endures to all generations. 5:19

I had a few moments to kill before break was over, and I was thinking about all I'd read. I recalled a poem I'd memorized for English class about seven years ago, "Success", by Emily Dickinson:

Success is counted sweetest 
By those who ne'er succeed
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need

Not one of all the purple host 
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition, 
So clear, of victory!

As he, defeated, dying
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear.

This is Dickinson's Lament. It is the lament of the failures, the losers, the mourners, the sufferers. It's the deceitful lovers, the forgotten Sabbath, and the water we must purchase. And it's why the new mercy and enduring throne are so powerful. The victory is sweetest when you know loss. Christ's victory only means something when you know your own sin. His success is made that much bigger by your failures.



No comments:

Post a Comment