Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Being Awkward

This post is dedicated to Abigail, with whom I had lunch. She's upset that I haven't blogged since Saturday.

Transitioning back into Beloit has been weird, hence the title of this blog post. A lot of things have changed, relationships have changed, and I've changed. Sometimes I don't feel like I know what my role is or what people expect from me anymore - in all different ways. My friend Kate got a verse for me about putting new wine into old wineskins, and that pretty much sums up how I feel. Betsy put it like this, "It's going to be weird, and then you'll have the honeymoon phase, and then you'll just complain about commons for two months".

My advisor, after not seeing me for 13 months, didn't recognize me. The last time she saw me, my hair was 16 inches longer and blonde. She was pretty funny once she realized it was me.

Double takes continue to abound.

People want to hang out with me, kind of all the time. People want to meet up and talk. This is probably normal, but I have never been one particularly sought out for social engagements, so even being this kind of pseudo "popular" is weirding me out.

I am not a good distance track runner; I have neither the current ability nor desire to be one. But I don't have the resources (like a coach, a consistent practice facility) to be a good pole vaulter. At least my distance coach understands me for once. We don't usually communicate well, but today we did, and that was nice.

I'm trying new things, though, like wheatberry salad (spicy and bizarre) and being on the church worship team. And learning how to play this song, which I love:

Furious 

Nothing can tear us from 
The grip of His mighty love 
We’ve only glimpsed, His vast affection 
Heard whispers of, His heart and passion 
It’s pouring down… 

His love is deep, His love is wide 
And it covers us 
His love is fierce, His love is strong 
It is furious 
His love is sweet, His love is wild 
And its waking hearts to life 

The Father loves and sends His son 
The Son lays down His life for all 
He lavishes His love upon us 
He calls us now, His sons and daughters 
He'’s reaching out… 

… and its waking hearts to life 
He is waking hearts to life 
He is waking hearts to life 



I really like, "He lavishes His love upon us" because it reminds me of John 1:16 and gets me pumped about my blessings wall. 

 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. John 1:16

No comments:

Post a Comment