Thursday, January 3, 2013

13 in 13

I am going back to school this weekend after a year long leave of absence, so I thought I'd share 13 things I'm looking forward to in the Spring 2013 semester:

1. Living <20 seconds from Maggie and a minute from Betsy. Phone calls, texts, skypes, emails, and occasional visits cannot replace 24/7 easy access to people I love so dearly.

2. Track. I've been involved in year-round competitive sports for most of my life, so 2012 was weird. It was nice on the one hand, but I'm definitely the kind of person who enjoys competing. I like working towards a goal, challenging myself to reach it (Victoria, this is totally a C type of competitive). Plus, Beloit is hosting outdoor conference during graduation weekend, which means my parents will be able to see me compete as a collegiate trackster for the first time (second, I believe for my dad, but that was indoor and indoor is always a little rough). And the historic Beloit Relays return for the first time in years, and I get to be a part of it!

3. My space. I am excited to have a room I can "be" in. I've loved this year of moving around, living out of suitcases, and being around new people, but it'll be nice to decorate a room and be able to enjoy it for awhile. I am less thrilled about the communal bathroom, but it is not a bucket shower so I will take it.

4. InterVarsity. I'll be the first to admit that joining IV and immediately leadership, and then staying on leadership for the next four semesters left me burnt out. I am blessed to say I will be serving our chapter as vice president this semester.

5. Weekly meetings with Jane. I really want to do this, Jane, for as long as you're still in town. I love spending time with you.

6. My classes. It will be odd to go back to more traditional learning than I've experienced over the past year, but I'm looking forward to discussions and papers and taking part in that kind of creative academics that Beloit brings out in its students.

7. Rock Valley Chapel. YES! I was there all summer, and can't wait to be back. I'm also looking forward to spending time with the Johnsons again. Also, RVC and IV are teaming up to bring an Easter service to campus, so two ministries will be combined into one. Love it.

8. Campus. You just fall in love with campus from the minute you arrive. I like it in every season, and love the little places I've made my own.

9. Nikki's. It's barely off campus, but it's just enough in order to be refreshing and fun. I especially love the spring when I can get an iced coffee and go for a walk by the river. Who am I kidding? Make it a hot coffee, and I'm there in any season.

10. Being responsible for myself. For the most part, I don't have to coordinate a whole lot with other people. I can set my own schedule, and I don't need to worry about offending another culture, keeping twigs to branches in line ;), upsetting a family routine, or someone else needing the car. Right now, I enjoy doing my own thing and not having to worry if it's messing up someone else doing their thing. This is all probably some big sign about how I'm not ready to be married or have a family yet, but that's fine with me.

11. Writing (and handing in) my thesis. I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but it sounds so official and important. I hope it turns out well!

12. Graduating. I'm sad about the thought of leaving the people who have become family and the campus that's become my home, but I am excited to have finished college, and to celebrate all the experiences it gave me.

13. The moments in between, the little moments that make Beloit Beloit.

2 comments:

  1. I like the new look! All of those things were just too easy to take for granted, and I miss them all so so much. Especially living with another family and having to care about other people who are children and I can't reason with before myself. I miss you! give me daily updates. I guess I could survive with weekly updates too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the new look, too. Thanks! I will let you know how it all goes. I should write you a weekly haiku. That would be amusing.

      Delete