Thursday, August 2, 2012

Permitting the Struggle

I went out to lunch today with two of the other college-age girls at church. We've hung out a few times this summer, since I'm in town, and of course we see each other every Sunday, but I never really felt like I knew them that well. I didn't know their backgrounds or their testimonies, so I didn't feel like we were really even friends. I think that at least two of them felt the same way, so they invited me out for lunch today so we could all talk. We met up at one of the girls' houses and took off.

One of them said, "So today we're going to talk about life matters. It'll be the conservative un-televised version of The View". I thought that was a fun way to put it. As we ate and talked, we were very real with each other. One of the girls confided that she's felt far from God for a long time, and doesn't know how to come close and get right again. We talked about how our past has affected us. We let each other be real, and we didn't claim to have all the answers. We prayed for each other, and we ended up hanging out at the riverside another few hours just talking, praying, and encouraging one another. I'm so grateful for this opportunity because I felt like it was something I really needed. I'm not around my closest friends right now, so I don't have that type of relationship closeby with girls my age at this point. Well, I didn't anyway ;)

We didn't want to say goodbye! We have plans for Saturday night and enxt week. Now we know how to pray for one another and to carry one another's burdens. It is so good to have like-minded friends around.

No comments:

Post a Comment