Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cheers!

Tonight, I stood in my college president's backyard, surrounded by classmates, including an inner circle of close friends, and toasted to our last year at Beloit College.  Where else does that happen? It made me love Beloit so much, in all of its weirdness and unique challenges. President Bierman (Scotty B) said he will always share something special with our class, because we entered Beloit together. It was corny, but nice. I stood with most of the cross country seniors - people with whom I have shared library closing nights followed by morning practice 6 hours later, sweaty hugs, high fives, boowhooops, hard hard workouts that I can't believe I did, pink watches, dirty dinners (go directly to dinner, DO NOT shower, or even change clothes), tears, laughs, mental health days, birthdays, breakups, frisbee tossing, homecomings, wipeouts, rain storms, snow storms, windstorms, heat exhaustion, break downs, symposium days, and the occasional class ;) I'm going to be on of those thoughtful annoying seniors, and I'm just going to have to accept that (and you are too, if you wish to continue to read this blog).

It was appropriate that immediately following the toast, we jetted off for one of our classic workouts - hills at the South Beloit Boys and Girls Club. It wouldn't be BCXC without the B&G. Although I'm obviously not running this season, I was the moral support, and learned the freshmen's names, as we will be teammates come January. Our coordinator coaxed me into playing his game, and talking about all the opportunities Beloit affords you, like studying abroad, double majoring, and internships. And when a few friends needed just a touch more encouragement than I could give on the sidelines, I jumped in for a few repeats myself.

I gave my pink watch and blue bike new homes for the fall, and their owners were so happy. I said some final farewells, and now all that's left to do is pack up and head out.

Memorable farewells:

Jane: "There's something different about you; you just look so happy. You always look happy, but this is true happiness". The last time Jane saw me, I was pulling up to 18 hour days back to back to back. Of course I probably look much more refreshed and relaxed! Praying for your ministry, Jane!

Jason: "I love you. Thanks for the watch. I'll miss you. I love you" All accompanied by an enormous sweaty Jason hug. I went to high school with Jason so we know each other pretty well. He's a good guy, and looked like a beast on those hills today. Have a great semester, Jas, and run fast! It's going to be great.

Betsy: "Are we really doing this another 4 months? But at least now we both have unlimited texting that won't cost a million dollars. Texting all the time. Love you. Miss you. Love you" I love this girl, and I can't believe the number of times we've held each other in goodbye hugs. Too many lately, but that's life. Keep your hopes up, Betsy, and talk to me anytime. Love you, and have a good semester.

Maggie: "Hug me! I love you. I'm going to miss you! I'll write you letters and actually send them not like last time when I would write them and then they'd be out of date by the time they got to Senegal so I only sent that one (if it sounds like a run on sentence, good). But text me all your random thoughts. I love you, Kate" This one's special. She's not a freshman baby anymore, and she's full of passion and more energy than she knows what to do with. Love you Mags, have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment