Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wings Like Eagles

I am my pastor's daughter's Sunday school teacher, French lesson giver, verse memorization practice partner, and gymnastics coach so it's safe to say I know this little girl pretty well. She just moved up a level at gymnastics, and tonight was her first night with the big girls. Yikes.

She was terrified of jumping from the low bar to the high bar. I mean, whimpering noises and death grip on my hand kind of terrified. Instead of making her do it when she was too afraid, I pulled her aside for a moment. I took out my phone, where I have the YouVersion Bible app, and showed her Isaiah 40:31

but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint


I told her that once she stood up on the bar, she just had to remember "wings like eagles" as a key phrase. She could fly from bar to bar, she just had to show some trust. 


The little girl was no longer terrified, but instead jumped right off the bar all by herself. She touched the high bar but couldn't grasp it. Our time for bars was up. 


As we left the gym, she said, tomorrow at open gym, I'm going to work on that jumping to the high bar. 


I'm actually going share a Taylor Swift quote here, because I just love it: 


"Being fearless isn't about being 100% not afraid. It's about be afraid, and jumping anyway" 


When you trust God, you don't have to know what's next. You just have to trust that He does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment