Friday, July 27, 2012

Some Thoughts

What I'm Reading
A Holy Ambition by John Piper (click on the link for a free pdf download)
"There will always be people who argue that the doctrine of election and predestination makes missions pointless. But they are always wrong. It does not make missions pointless; it makes missions possible"


"There must be genuine, devastating brokenness before leaping for joy at the cross. The cross first says, 'It is because of you that I am here.' That's what it says, meaning, 'Your sin is so horrible it requires the death of the Son of God for God to be vindicated in the saving of your soul'" 


Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" What a way to start a book!

"You do your part. God is merciful, pray to God, sir, pray to God" 


John
"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me" John 15:4 


"These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full" John 15:11

the Psalms
"The law of the Lord is perfect, 
reviving the soul; 
the testimony of the Lord is sure, 
making wise the simple; 
the precepts of the Lord are right, 
rejoicing the heart; 
the commandment of the Lord is pure, 
enlightening the eyes; 
the fear of the Lord is clean, 
enduring forever; 
the rules of the Lord are true, 
and righteous altogether. 
More to be desired are they than gold, 
even much fine gold; 
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb. 
Moreover, by them is your servant warned; 
in keeping them there is great reward." Psalm 19:7-11

What I'm Singing
Painting Pictures of Egypt (Sara Groves)
"Because the places that used to fit me cannot hold the things I've learned" 

How Deep The Father's Love For Us (Bethany Dillon's version isn't on youtube, but that's the one on my iPod)
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. But this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom"

Before the Throne (Sovereign Grace arrangement)
"Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me" 


What I'm Playing (Guitar)
Love Came Down (Kari Jobe style)
"Staying desperate for You God, staying humbled at Your feet. I will lift these hands and praise, I will believe. I remind myself of all that You've done. And the life I have because of Your Son. Love came down rescued me, love came down and set me free. I am Yours, I am forever Yours

What Joy (Generation Church)
"What joy, what joy for those whose hope is in the name of the Lord. What peace, what peace for those whose confidence is Him alone" 

Jesus Paid It All (Kristian Stanfill edition)
"O praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead" 


What I'm Cooking 
We're having a bunch of college students from church over this weekend, and I'm excited about the menu:
Some sort of herb/cheese bread
Blueberry Corn Salad
Chicken on the grill
Lemon cheesecake 


I also made dinner and dessert last night
Bacon, onion, basil and garden tomato quiche
Chocolate cake with peanut butter cream frosting 


What I'm Writing 
Blog posts: this one, one for a puregeneration on rejoicing in marriage as a single, and two for the 127 project: a reflection on the perversion of biblical truth in 50 Shades, and editing the testimony of a friend ;) 


Letters: to Xadi, and to a newly deployed peace corps friend in Namibia


Quick messages: Liztowne on her bike trip to France, texts to Betsy about our most random life thoughts, and Kate because she has an awesome name ;) 


And 3 Random Things 
Men's gymnastics starts tomorrow, and women's on Sunday! Ryan Hall will be running the marathon next weekend. He stopped having a coach in favor of allowing God to dictate his training schedule. Pray for him if you think of it. 


The older girls I coach and I were have been enjoying that old Dixie Chicks song "If I Fall" . That's how I feel when I spot them sometimes - if they fall, I'm going down with them. 


I have hardly been inside at all today. The weather is spectacular. 


No comments:

Post a Comment