Saturday, July 28, 2012

Added Responsibility

If you haven't heard, I was named as the interim head coach of the Beloit YMCA gymnastics program. This was a 5-minute phone call, and by the time I came into work yesterday, I had a dozen parents who needed to voice their opinions to me. I had set up a meeting with the director for Monday to discuss what the expectations would be for the new title, and I was more or less clueless, leaving me completely unprepared. I never imagined myself being the head of anything at 20 years old...I can't even handle being the head of my own life most of the time! But I took a deep breath, and listened to them, coached their girls, and made sure they saw I was knowledgeable and caring. Many of the parents wanted to express appreciation for what I've brought this summer already, and this was very encouraging. One mom even said I was an answer to their prayers! I am so thankful to be able to help these girls train to the level they're capable of. It was still a long night, though.

Then this morning, there are two of us who teach different classes at 9am, and my co-worker overslept so I had to cover for her class and wake her up this morning to get her in. Not the ideal start to the morning. Additionally, one of the team moms who had come to work out asked me if I felt ready for the new responsibility of head coach. I said I thought so, and she said, "Well, good luck. Some of the parents can be nightmares". Um thanks? Then, when I thought it was time to go home for a relaxing day of watching the Olympics and making bread, we discovered a girl who'd been dropped off by her dad for a 10:30 class. Problem: There is no 10:30 class. We verified this at the front desk, and by that time her dad was in another city running errands, as he thought she had class until noon. The woman at the desk said, "Well call Donna (the former head coach)" Me: "Well I would, but she's done. I'm the new Donna". Ugh. After talking with her dad, who was on his way back, we got her signed up for a new class during the week.

So I've been head coach for less than 24 hours and I'm already feeling the added responsibilities...

"God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called" Max Lucado

Lord, grant me the patience, wisdom and humility to serve in this new role. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment