Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cooking

If I followed God the way that I cooked, I would be a poor excuse for a Christ-follower.

I collect recipes, but I never regard them as authoritative. I can't remember the last time that I actually used the right amount of the right ingredients. I don't see not having something as an issue - no red curry paste? No problem, let me just throw together some garlic, curry, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. No cocoa powder in these brownies? Outrage! Let's add some. I also have no trust for cooking times. I set the timer for less than suggested, and check on it myself. In all cases, I am sure that I know better.

If I treated the Bible the way I treated cook books, I would lose so much awe for God's word. If the Bible isn't authoritative, what do we have left for our faith? If I refused to trust God the way I do chefs, if I thought I knew better than Him, I would be struggling through a sad life of mediocrity.

I am very thankful that although I am a stubborn know it all chef, the Lord softened my heart and called me to Him. This illustration confirms for me that instinctively, I would not love God. It could only have been Him who initiated my salvation.

PS. I made some delicious spicy curried scallops today, and it's one of my favorite meals I've eaten in awhile. I could attempt to put the recipe together for you if you'd like, but remember cooking is better when you're creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment