Friday, July 13, 2012

This Joy of Mine is Now Complete

I have often marveled at John the Baptist and how full his identity was in Christ. I have always loved these two verses:

And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” John 1:19-20 


What if someone asked you that, "Who are you?" Would you say, "I'm not Jesus"? John knew his place was not to make a name for himself, but to point others to the name above all names, Jesus the Christ. 


But what got me today was actually in chapter 3. In the chapter with the best-known verse, I saw something I'd never noticed before. I was familiar with the "He must increase and I must decrease" bit but had missed so much more. 


The deal is that Jesus and John are both baptizing and some of John's disciples are worried about Jesus destroying John's street cred, so they confront him about it. 



And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, he who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you bore witness—look, he is baptizing, and all are going to him.” John answered, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.’ The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease.”

He who comes from above is above all. He who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way. He who comes from heaven is above all. He bears witness to what he has seen and heard, yet no one receives his testimony. Whoever receives his testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true. For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:26-36

I absolutely love the illustration of the friend of the bridegroom. My best friend from high school asked me to be the maid of honor at her wedding. The wedding hasn't even happened yet, but I am so very happy for them. I am not the bride, but I rejoice because of how happy and excited the bride is. John's joy is now complete because he is sending forth the news of the bridegroom to the bride. He is pointing the way. In the second block, it almost seems like it could be Jesus saying those things. But it's not. It is John's utmost pleasure to share the good news of Christ's coming and the gift of eternal life promised to all who believe in Him. He has now concern over making his own name known; his joy and identity are wrapped up in who Jesus is. 

"Our greatest satisfaction is making His name famous/So if we're never named among the greatest/They don't critically acclaim us/Ain't nothing to be ashamed of/We gave it up for the Savior" Lecrae, Chase That (Ambition) 


No comments:

Post a Comment