Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympic Update and Religious Ramblings

SHOCKER! The women's gymnastics all around competition was set to showcase a dual between Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber. But Wieber failed to qualify for the finals! I can't imagine what Jordyn must be feeling like right now. She qualified for an event final, though, and team USA has an excellent shot at gold, so I hope she rallies and puts on a great performance on Tuesday for the team finals. The US women qualified the maximum two athletes in the all-around, balance beam, and floor, with one contender each in bars and vault (McKayla Maroney finished half a point ahead of her nearest competition!). Further, the team qualified in the top spot with a few shaky routines they had to count.

On the men's side, team China suffered a devastating blow when its reigning Olympic champion was forced to drop out due to injury. They eeked out a team qualification, in a surprising sixth position, behind US, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, and Japan. Team USA qualified in first position, and will be sending one man into vault, floor, and high bar finals, and two men into the all-around, one of whom is sitting in the top spot!

In other news, I've been reading in John, and today as I went back over some things, I saw that Jesus says in John 5:46 that Moses was writing about Him. It made me think about the Jewish people, who recognize Jesus as a great teacher but not as the Messiah. But Jesus Himself says that the Old Testament refers to Him. I also thought about how agonizing that would be - waiting from the beginning of time for a Savior who, in your mind, still hasn't come. I pondered how Islam is in that way closer to Judaism; they both rely on a form of adherence to a law for salvation. I can't decide which belief would be more agonizing: waiting on a Messiah who will save you but just is not coming, or having no Messiah at all. When I looked at these other belief systems, I realized how easily I can take the freedom I have in Christ for granted. What a unique privilege to no longer have my sins counted against me.

that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:19


No comments:

Post a Comment