Saturday, June 30, 2012

Killing Calvinism

Killing Calvinism, by Greg Dutcher is not, as many might assume, a refutation of Calvinism, evidenced by its subtitle: how to destroy a perfectly good theology from the inside. I'm on point 6 of 8, but I'm having such a blast reading this that I had to share.

I think the main reason I'm enjoying it so much because of my relationship with theology, and specifically Calvinism. Theology was a terrifying word for me for a long time, something better left to pastors and seminary students; it was definitely not for me. During the second semester of my freshman year of college, I started regularly meeting with our area director for IVCF, and upon discovering my love of reading, he got me on theology. The first thing I read was Knowing God by J.I. Packer. I have to say, I was hooked. He soon learned of my reading speed, and began bringing me 5 books each week, because I was going through them all.  Sometime in the middle of all this, a friend asked if I was Calvinist or Armenian. I hadn't quite gotten that far yet, and he asked me some questions about what I believed. He was somewhat amused by my answers, and said, "Oh, you're definitely a Calvinist alright". Being theologically unread, I had developed those views from, quite simply, the Bible, and didn't think there was another way of seeing it (read: me asking, "Wait, do some people actually believe we would choose God on our own? Why would people born into sin and rebellion choose the One we've rebelled against? What?! Some people don't think we were born in sin?")

I told you this whole story because it has absolutely effected my interactions with this book, in much the same way Dutcher's story has effected his writing about the Reformed movement. Dutcher had a different experience than I did; he was graciously saved and discipled, and was then introduced to Calvinist theology, which after some study, made sense with what he had learned. My experience was different in that as a result in salvation, I was holding to a theology, and was then told what it was called.

I had some problems with some of the things that he said. Maybe I'm looking too far into things, and some of his statements are coming out with different implications than he realized, but I took note. One such issue comes from this quote "Had Jesus been an absolute master of sound biblical theology but unkind and unloving as a man, he would today be a small footnote in history". Dutcher is trying to compel us to be disciples of Christ in striving to be more like Him, instead of making theology our idol, but I gasped a little bit reading it. Even if, as a man, Jesus had been unkind and unloving (which, I would say, because He was also God, is impossible, but for hypothetical's sake, we'll go with it) He still would've been God. He still would have hung on the cross to atone for our sins. He still rose from the dead. Which means, that His place in history would have to have been more than just a small footnote. I mean, you only see life after crucifixion once, after all. Disbelief in something doesn't make it untrue. I could also do without his stereotypical descriptions of a neo-Calvinist, who preaches in ripped jeans and flip flops and drinks Guiness.

But, there were also some really fun, smart, and interesting things. He tells a story about wanting to see a beautiful view and cleaning his windshield. Because the windshield was clear, he and his family could see the glory of God's creation in all its fullness. But they weren't praising the windshield; they were praising God. Says Dutcher, "I am concerned that many Cavinists today do little more than celebrate how wonderfully clear their theological windshield is...Reformed theology is not an end in itself. It is simply a window to the awe-inspiring universe of God's truth, filed with glory, beauty, and grace. Do we need something like a metaphorical windshield of clear, biblical truth to look through as we hope to marvel at God's glory? Absolutely. But we must make sure that we know the difference between staring at a windshield and staring through one". On Calvinist tendencies to dismiss evangelism, because God is ultimately in control, he says, " as people see how we relate to the unsaved- with such love and generosity - they should be surprised to learn that we believe in unconditional election and limited atonement" And nuggets like this one make the book just plain enjoyable to read, "While it may be an inside joke among Reformed folks that the apostle Paul was a Calvinist, who can argue it's not true?" I dare you to be a Calvinist and not smile at that little jest.

In any event, I'm not finished yet, but it's safe to say that it's clearly a book written by a Calvinist for other Calvinists. And sometimes a funny one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment