Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Don't Get It

I was reading an article online about pastors who leave their positions to live lives as atheists. I read stories of people who dedicated 20, 30, even 40+ years of their lives to feeding congregations with the word of God, to nurturing faith among many, to praying with and for those they encountered in need.

And then, they stopped.

What makes someone who was once so convicted that he felt the need to tell the world stop believing completely? Did he never feel God's hand guiding their steps forward through life? Or hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit as he kneeled to pray early in the morning? Did he see the Lord answer prayer, providing in ways inconceivable to human demands? All of these things are meant to build faith, to serve as a testimony to who God is in our lives. The cross has already been written on our hearts, yet we need proof, and God bears with us enough to give it to us.

I don't see how one can go from being a preacher of the Bible to telling people God doesn't exist. I'm currently living with a pastor's family, and the gospel truly colors their entire lives.

I guess this is just going to remain a big question mark for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment