Friday, June 15, 2012

Confessions of a Coffee Purist

I drink coffee. Black. Any other way, it just doesn't taste like coffee. But days like today make me shift out of my routine.

The first cup went well. I chatted with Kathryn as she got ready for work, and then it was time for the second cup as she left. I had great intentions. I was going to drink this cup and just enjoy the morning. Well.

The children got up 45 minutes early, and one of them had had two girls sleep over. Those 3 got up first, and I got them bowls, cereal, milk, apple juice, and cut up some fruit. Back to coffee. Then the middle child awoke, and we started over. Then, finally, right on time, the oldest. So now they'd all had breakfast. Nathaniel started on his chore - using the cordless vac to take care of the floors - which caused the dog to have a fit (she believes vacuums, brooms, and step ladders are all the antichrist). So she had to go out. Then worksheet assistance was needed. Carolyn wanted to test herself on me and see if she'd had her verse for this week memorized (she didn't, but we got there eventually). Then I had to round up the youngest and get them ready to go home. And then I finished cleaning up the kitchen from breakfast. (I should note that Kathryn and Tim don't expect me to be the kids' nanny or anything like that, but I enjoy getting them and the house situated when I can)

My coffee by this point was that foul lukewarm leaning cold temperature and completely unappealing. I  dislike microwaving it because I think it's only a temporary fix, and who wastes coffee? So for when mornings like these catch you off guard try this:

(My cup was about 2/3 full)

Fill up the cup with milk ( I did almond milk).
Dump into a small pot and heat on the stove.
Add just a few drops of vanilla extract
Stir in cayenne pepper and cinnamon to taste.
Turn off heat just as it starts to boil.
Pour into cup and enjoy!

There are lots of things you can do to make it your own. I like the cayenne and cinnamon though (this is often called a mexican latte). You could also add chocolate for a mexican mocha.

So far, this is working out much better for me.

I also warmed a slice of the snickerdoodle bread I made a few days ago. So good! And it's the first bread I've ever done all by myself, so I'm really proud of it! I already have ambitions of a squash braid (thanks EJ!) and monkey bread.


2 comments:

  1. cayenne in coffee? Sounds very different, of course now I have to try it. That bread looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I had it at one of those ultra trendy coffeeshops downtown of a college town and got hooked! The bread is snickerdoodle bread. We had an abundance of hershey's cinnamon chips so I google searched recipes for them and picked that. I really liked it.

      Delete