Thursday, January 16, 2014

13 in 13

13 most important books of 2013 

I read a lot. It took me this long to nail down what I would consider the 13 most influential books of my last year. It was nearly impossible for me to do this; I had to leave out a lot, but overall I'm happy with it. I think it represents my year as a whole quite accurately and speaks to what God has been doing in my life and heart. 

In no particular order: 

1. 1,000 Gifts. Ann Voskamp. This book helped me dig deep into Scripture in a way that absolutely astonished me. I read it in a peaceful dorm room and was thankful for snow and wearing Betsy's packer shirt and little girl giggles and then I read it in a dark hospital room and was thankful for medicine and technology and grace for every minute. Eucharisteo. 

2. The Glory of Christ. This John Owen classic challenged me to "Think Greatly of the greatness of God". Owen writes for the practical intellectual and there is no one who conquers the theology of Christ's work as mediator like he does. 

3. The Pleasures of God. An early work of John Piper, it takes you right to the heart of what makes God happy, what he delights in. It places you right on His will and how do you not bend in awe? 

4. Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert. Rosaria Butterfield's book continues to blow me away. Her conversion story isn't about her sexuality; it's about grace. Pure and simple, her words for the church today should not be ignored. This book is for all of us. 

5. The Greatest Gift. Ann Voskamp again. This Advent book turned my Christmas upside down. It was a systematic exploration of Christ's coming; it started in Genesis and worked its way to the good news of great joy. Raw beauty. 

6. The Jesus Story Book Bible. This children's Bible was by Sally Lloyd Jones was brought to me by a friend deep in depression. It states the gospel over and over and over again in the simplest of terms and that is enough for me. 

7. Love is an Orientation by Andrew Marin. This book scared me the most. It had come to my attention in the past, and I had avoided it like the plague. The church? Homosexuality? Loving the gay community? Bridge building? I was downright terrified to face the hard questions head on. And then my thesis brought me to a full on collision. And I am so thankful it did. Marin's principles for love, relationships, and building bridges with those who are different than us have had tremendous impact on me and have been wonderful tools in my life. 

8. The Unlikely Disciple. This expose by Kevin Roose is another "for everyone" book. A Brown student turned Liberty University "study abroad" transfer, his insights into the church are honest and thought-provoking. If I could teach a class at Beloit College, this book would be on the curriculum. 

9. On the Mortification of Sin in the Life of the Believer. Another John Owen masterpiece, that will convict you until you don't know how you'll ever get off your knees. And then he hits you with grace and the truth that Christ will bring his work in you to completion. For those looking to be challenged in your spiritual walk, crack these pages open. 

10. Unveiling Grace. This book by Lynn Wilder is her testimony of conversion into, life in, and conversion out of Mormonism. She so strongly communicates the difference between the law and the gospel, between regulations and faith, between religion and relationship, and the power of the Word of God that any believer will be encouraged by her story. 

11. White (Circle Series book 3). The only novel on this list, this Ted Dekker book makes it because of its creativity, beauty, and eloquent communication of gospel truth. He wraps the romance of Christ's pursuit of his people in a futuristic novel in which spiritual truths are actual realities. It's confusing to explain but enchanting and all-consuming once you get into it. 

12. Gods at War. This is the second Kyle Idleman book I've read that has blown me away. It breaks down different idols we are prone to worship and cuts right to your soul. I had no idea the depth of my idolatry problem until I examined my heart while looking at the holy God. A must for readers trying to focus on Christ. 

13. Amazing Grace. An Eric Metaxas biography on William Wilberforce. I am so inspired by the work Wilberforce accomplished and by his relentless faith. You can ask Betsy, Elizabeth, and basically anyone else with whom I speak regularly; I am obsessed with this man. He has none of the recognition that he should and this book does him justice. 

Alright. So that's me. What did you read last year? Did any of these titles jump out at you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment