Sunday, January 12, 2014

Loving The Church

Today I did two things that scared me. 

1. I led worship by myself. I haven't done that since InterVarsity, and I'd never done it for a church on Sunday. It was great though, and I'm glad I did it. God was glorified and Christ's church sure praised him today. 

2. I was the outgoing one! I saw a new girl at church today and I talked to her for a bit and then went to coffee with her. Abigail is 22, just moved to Seattle and doesn't know anyone. 

I know what that feels like! 

Also, just yesterday I was reading Rosaria Butterfield's words, "you never know the road someone has traveled to the pew on Sunday morning" 

Abigail grew up in a church, and was very very involved, as was her whole family. When she was 16 or 17, the church basically turned into a cult and her family left. She spent years being angry with God and questioning everything she ever thought she knew. 

Today was her first day back to the church. After 5, 6 years, she made it today. 

With tears in her eyes, she told me how much she loved the service today. She loves that Anchor is Jesus Gospel Seattle. She felt like Pastor Andrew's message was for her. She loved the singing. And she appreciate me taking an hour to sit down and hear her story. 

You never know how far someone has walked to this moment. I am beyond thankful to have met her and look forward to continuing to pursue this friendship. 

I am also reminded of how much I love the church, as Larry Crabb would say, "a community of broken, joyful people dancing at [God's] party" 

Thank you, Jesus, for claiming us as your people and building your church! 


No comments:

Post a Comment