Saturday, December 3, 2011

All I Know

Sometimes I just really want to know what God's doing with all of my close friendships with nonbelievers. Why do I spend most of my time with them? It's definitely a part of His ways that I can't understand. Not that I need to; I'll remain obedient, but I certainly wonder.

One of these dear friends has a sister with depression and she was admitted into a hospital this week because it was really serious. I was praying for this family, and instead of focusing on the sister, I was led towards more thoughts on my friend.

On a surface level, I loved her almost straight away. And yes, I did want her to know Jesus the same way I did almost anyone else. But the more I get to know her, the more I can truly love her the way Jesus has. Behind the flippancy with which she speaks about growing up, and different issues in her life, I see the hurt, the longing for guidance and protection, and unconditional love. I think that's how you know you love someone - when more than anything else, you just want them to know and experience the joy of having a relationship with Jesus Christ.

There are times I don't know why the Lord has made us so close, so connected. And then there are moments when walls fall down, when I see that raw space just crying out for a Savior. Last spring, she asked me to tell her the whole story of Jesus. And to this day, she tells people, "I didn't know the story of Jesus until Kate told me when I was almost 20 years old" , proud of the life and knowledge we've been able to share with each other.

I don't know what God is up to. But I do know that He so loved the world that He came down in Christ to suffer among us, to live a perfect life, and to take the penalty for our sins. He is the Light of the world, prepared to shine as Love and Truth in the darkest of places. Jesus conquered the grave, redeeming us and calling us to share in His victory. He has taken up a residency in us in the Holy Spirit, and will return one day, where we will be wed to Him and celebrate the joy and glory of His presence forevermore. And that's enough.

All I Know

He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds. He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name. Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite. Psalm 147:3-5

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:16-17

And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts." Revelation 21:6

The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. Revelation 21:23

No comments:

Post a Comment