Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Anger to Peace

Pour out your heart like water before the Lord
This phrase from Lamentations 2:19 caught my eye as I was going through old journals. There's something so simple and so pure about it, something so intimate and precious.

Today as I did that, I realized I was angry. It takes a lot to evoke this feeling from me. I was trying to thank God in all circumstances, even (especially) the unpleasant ones, and do you know what, I just didn't feel like it. I threw my Bible back onto my bed, and said, "Lord, I don't know what's going on right now. And I know I'm supposed to thank You in this situation, but I really don't feel like it"

I've been reading through Isaiah, and the Lord gently reminded me of some of what I've been learning.

One of my very favorite verses says:
"For the mountains shall depart
And the hills be removed,
But My kindness shall not depart from you,
Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,”
Says the LORD, who has mercy on you.
Isaiah 54:10

And just this morning I read,
In all their affliction He was afflicted,
And the Angel of His Presence saved them;
In His love and in His pity He redeemed them;
And He bore them and carried them
All the days of old.
Isaiah 63:9

There's so much wealth in these verses. It brings a new spirit to my heart. His covenant of peace shall not be removed from me; He carries me. So even though there's too much going on for me to handle, I can't be angry. His promises are just too wonderful.



Therefore now you have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. John 16:22

And I will wait on the Lord, who hides His face from the house of Jacob; and I will hope in Him. Isaiah 8:17

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kate. I love the idea of pouring out your heart like water before the Lord. I have never read that verse before, I am definitely writing it down.

    ReplyDelete