Friday, December 9, 2011

What Joy

Tonight was (well, technically it's still going on) the cross country Christmas party. Christmas sweaters, eggnog, hot cocoa, brownies, sugar cookies, peppermint park, Christmas tunes. Sounds lighthearted, right? Until people start taking shots of the brandy and peppermint schnapps instead of putting it in the eggnog and cocoa, and it turns to the often vulgar songs du jour and always vulgar dance moves. This is only the third time this year I've hung out with people getting belligerent, and every time it's been because I've really felt God calling me, always for a different reason. The first time, it was an act of peace. In the same way that Jesus never turned away from the woman at the well, and dined with tax collectors and sinners of all kinds, I felt called to be a light, and to show I brought no judgment. The second time, it was for safety reasons. I was there to get people drinking water throughout the night and drive home. And tonight, well tonight was particularly heart wrenching.

Sitting in the middle of the room, I reflected: I don't even know any of these songs, Is that dancing or miming sex? Why is this fun? And right on cue, someone asked me, "Kate, what's your typical Friday night?" Me: "Well, I usually read the Bible a lot, or a biography about a missionary or church leader, play guitar, and go to bed early. Unless I'm staying up praying for you guys and the rest of campus" Him: "That doesn't sound that fun"

How do you explain to someone who doesn't know Jesus that a time in His presence is surreal? It is the greatest source of satisfaction, fulfillment, and joy. You can't see Him, but you know He's there, ever present and always ready to provide exactly what you need. He knows the depths of your heart, because He's written the cross on it forever. He went to hell and back to pull you out of the pit of despair.



It is in You, my sovereign and ever faithful Lord, that I find all hope, peace, confidence, and joy. Your joy is my strength, and You are my dwelling place. In Jesus' name, Amen

You make known to me the paths of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11

They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of Thy House; and Thou shalt make them drink of the river of Thy pleasures.
Psalm 36:8

Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help,
Whose hope is in the LORD his God Psalm 146:5

The joy of the LORD is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen] you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory. 1 Peter 1:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment