Monday, December 19, 2011

Introversion and Loving His People

I have taken a lot of personality tests in my life, and I have tested into introversion every single time. But in the past few years, the strength of introversion has decreased dramatically. I still recharge best by myself, and I'd rather read a good book than go to a party, but I can now say I actually enjoy being around people.

I'll be honest, I've been quoted as saying "I don't really like people" before. I don't know what it was; I just preferred to do things by myself, my own way. But as I pack up and say goodbye to Beloit for a season, I've been reflecting a lot.

Sunday, I spent all day with people. I went to church, made lunch and cookies with my pastor's family, came back, hung out with a good friend, went to dinner with another friend, hung out with a small group, then a larger group, and then stayed up til morning talking with another friend. When my dad came to pick me up, there were three girls in my room, all of us dragging our feet at the inevitable. And the last month or so in general, I've consistently chosen to be with others. I still take my alone time, and I still like being alone, usually before the Lord.

But God has really melted heart when it comes to other people. He's enabled me to see what He sees, how He loves and cherishes every single one of us. I understand a new dimension of the unfathomable grace of the cross each and every day. To understand what Jesus did for me is the first step in truly loving the rest of His people. I'm not perfect, and I can't say that I like everyone all the time. But it's something the Lord has been very patient with me on.

It reminds me of when Jesus redeems Peter and He says that if Peter loves Him, then he will feed His sheep.


So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah,do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”
He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”
He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.” John 21:15-19

No comments:

Post a Comment