Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Listening to the Lord

Life-changing stuff coming here.

When I prayed about where to go to college, I was under the impression that I would be there for four years, hopefully taking a semester to study abroad, and then the Lord would show me the next step. But this line from Not A Fan, by Kyle Idleman keeps floating in my head, "When is the last time that you allowed Jesus to mess with your plans?"

This summer, Generations of Virtue told me they were going to be piloting a gap year program in the fall of 2012. As they explained the program, I nodded along; it sounded like an awesome idea. And then they asked me to consider coming out to write the curriculum/run the program. Honestly, at this time, I blew it off. I didn't want to think about it and I sure didn't want to pray about it. I didn't even want to hear what God might say.

Well, when I was out there for fall break, it became pretty clear this subject wasn't going to just disappear. I even sat in on a gap year meeting and did a little research. The whole time I was thinking, "Ugh! Why? Why can't I just go to school and be a witness here like we planned?' Of course, I could almost see the smile on God's face, "You mean, like you planned"

On Saturday, God gave me the verse Psalm 16:11. This verse is in 3 parts, and I felt Him highlighting the third part: at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. I understood that I can't have the delight of my heart apart from Him.

Sunday, it was time for part two: in your presence is fullness of joy. Ok, remain in Christ in order to have unshakable joy. Got it, I mean my life verse is Acts 17:28 after all.

And Monday, oh Monday. Monday was part 1: You make known to me the paths of life. But it didn't end there. We went to the amplified 1 Thessalonians 5:18b: For that is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (the Revealer and Mediator of that will) and Luke 5:11b They left everything and followed him.

I figured it was time to check in with my advisor to see if it was even possible to take the fall off and graduate on time. And wouldn't you know it, if I drop my French major down to a minor, I'll have exactly enough credits to graduate. How great.

I'm scared, I'm uncertain, and I'm working my way to excited. I know these verses don't leave room for argument, but this is not the easy road by any means. Breathe and relax, and rejoice in my Love one day at a time, I suppose.



Thank You, Lord, for all You've done and the ways You've chased after my heart to draw it closer to You. Provide for me clarity to know Your will and the strength and courage to carry it out. In Jesus' name, Amen

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11

And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him. Luke 5:11

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also]. Luke 9:23

2 comments: