Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Child's Praise

I am not one to underestimate children. I take God at His word when He says that we are to have child-like faith (Matthew 18:3), and where do you learn best about how to do this than from children?

Yesterday, my friends and I were all around the house working on different projects when we received a visitor, 4 year old Mikayla from across the street. Since I am the novelty, it didn't take long for her to place herself right in the middle of my workspace. Kids are really good at entertaining themselves, so after she'd posed questions about my computer and the pictures she saw, she took to chattering happily away at the seat next to me. Then, as I was immersed in an article, she starts telling a story about God talking to her. She heard Him speaking her name, and she told me about how she wanted to listen to Him and spend more time with Him. This captured my attention. I was struck by how such a small girl could truly know a big God.

Then, at bedtime, she announced that she wanted me to put her to bed. For this one, bedtime is often a challenge. Getting pajamas on went smoothly, and we went back downstairs to say goodnight to everyone else. Mikayla got a bit sidetracked and had grandma read her a story before choosing another book to take upstairs. As I followed her up to her room, the other adults told me to take the angels with me, as now the hard part would set in.

I sat with her in a rocking chair and read to her about her favorite subject, horses. Then she asked if we could sing a song. I happen to know that she loves "The Wonderful Cross", so I queued my phone up to the part where the chorus repeats several times and we sang along. Then she got into bed, and I pulled the covers over her. I told her it was time to pray, and asked if it was ok if I prayed for her. She said yes, and so I prayed, "Dear God thank You so much for Your princess and daughter Mikayla. Help her to sleep well and have nice dreams that let her to see You. We love You so much, Father. In Jesus' name, Amen". Then it was her turn, "God, I love You. Thank You for Kate. I love her infinity. Help me fall asleep fast and have no bad dreams. Amen"

Simple things like this make me overwhelmingly thankful. I was recapping my last two days on my run this morning when I was hit by the sun rising over the mountains. I became so aware of how I lacked the words to accurately praise the Lord for all I was feeling. I can't say anything that He hasn't heard already. The words of my heart are nowhere near enough to give praise for His goodness. But it's all I have, so I lift it up, so aware of my own unworthiness.

There's no video for this song, and I don't feel like making one, but please listen to it. Or at least read the lyrics

I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies. Genesis 32:10

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Hebrews 13:15

Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, Psalm 50:14

Give to the LORD the glory due His name;
Bring an offering, and come into His courts.
Oh, worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness!
Tremble before Him, all the earth. Psalm 96:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment